Wednesday, February 18, 2015

#ComicsFebruary - Post the First

So, February is #ComicsFebruary. I was really excited about it, but then I kind of didn't get into it at first. Mood reading, you know... Debi and Chris have had it the last few years and I try to join in. So, I had to read something. I have mentioned before that I joined Scribd. They now have lots of comics, but the first day I was on there I found Hyperbole and a Half. I had heard lots about it, but I have to admit that upon reading it... I had no idea what it was even about!
 Hyperbole and a Half: unfortunate situations, flawed coping mechanisms, mayhem and other things that happened by Allie Brosh

Completion Date: February 8, 2015
Length: 369 Pages
This is a book I wrote. Because I wrote it, I had to figure out what to put on the back cover to explain what it is. I tried to write a long, third-person summary that would imply how great the book is and also sound vaguely authoritative--like maybe someone who isn’t me wrote it--but I soon discovered that I’m not sneaky enough to pull it off convincingly. So I decided to just make a list of things that are in the book:
Pictures
Words
Stories about things that happened to me
Stories about things that happened to other people because of me
Eight billion dollars*
Stories about dogs
The secret to eternal happiness*
*These are lies. Perhaps I have underestimated my sneakiness!
So, I basically didn't read the back cover or the subtitle. It was just kind of around (Walmart even had it) and I wanted to give it a try. Imagine my delight when I can read it for free unexpectedly! (I like free.) And, then I discovered that it is a memoir and there are dogs... (The cover should have gave away the dog part). In any case it was an enjoyable book that I am glad I took a chance and read. The art is very simplistic, but it is effective! And, I enjoyed her stories. It is one of those books where you are going to laugh, but also feel sad. It was a great way to start off #ComicsFebruary!

Then, Scribd added comic books for real! Lots of them! It is not like I don't have a very nice TBR of physical comic books, but I had a new toy and I had to explore... Next up was March: Book 1. Andi mentioned it and it was pure chance that I had the chance to read it the very next day!
March: Book 1 by John Lewis, Andrew Aydin, and Nate Powell

Completion Date: February 10, 2015
Length: 128 Pages
Congressman John Lewis (GA-5) is an American icon, one of the key figures of the civil rights movement. His commitment to justice and nonviolence has taken him from an Alabama sharecropper’s farm to the halls of Congress, from a segregated schoolroom to the 1963 March on Washington, and from receiving beatings from state troopers to receiving the Medal of Freedom from the first African-American president.
Now, to share his remarkable story with new generations, Lewis presents March, a graphic novel trilogy, in collaboration with co-writer Andrew Aydin and New York Times best-selling artist Nate Powell (winner of the Eisner Award and LA Times Book Prize finalist for Swallow Me Whole).
March is a vivid first-hand account of John Lewis’ lifelong struggle for civil and human rights, meditating in the modern age on the distance traveled since the days of Jim Crow and segregation. Rooted in Lewis’ personal story, it also reflects on the highs and lows of the broader civil rights movement.
Book One spans John Lewis’ youth in rural Alabama, his life-changing meeting with Martin Luther King, Jr., the birth of the Nashville Student Movement, and their battle to tear down segregation through nonviolent lunch counter sit-ins, building to a stunning climax on the steps of City Hall.
Many years ago, John Lewis and other student activists drew inspiration from the 1950s comic book "Martin Luther King and the Montgomery Story." Now, his own comics bring those days to life for a new audience, testifying to a movement whose echoes will be heard for generations.
Well, I have to admit that when I heard of this comic I had no idea what it was even about. Now that I have read, what a wonderful idea! It is one thing to tell your story first hand, but I love that John Lewis chose a comic book as his medium. (Or, well, someone did, anyway!) It really makes the story come alive to have the pictures. It makes the history more real, I think. Not that I have a problem with regular non-fiction, of course. I just think this was a way to impact and I am so happy that I read it. It covers a very important part of history and I cannot wait until I read the sequels.

Then, I really shook things up and went from historical non-fiction about the Civil Rights Movement to a spin-off from X-Men.
X-23: The Killing Dream by Marjorie M. Liu & Alina Urusov

Completion Date: February 10, 2015
Length: 152 Pages
X-23 has spent her short life being used by those in power, from the military to the X-Men. But when she is forced to confront a being who can control her life with nothing but a thought, will X-23 finally learn how to fight -- not for others, but herself? Guest-starring NYX! COLLECTING: X-23 #1-6
I mainly went with this comic because it is always nice to read a comic about a girl that is written by a girl. I have no prior knowledge of the character; but I found that this was a pretty good mixture of a new story and a look back at who she is with a bit of back-story. And a bit different than the other female-driven comics I have read so far this year. The art was really good, too! I am glad I got a chance to read this one and recommend it!

Then, I got a chance to read a comic that has been on my wish list for a while because Fiona Staples is the artist!
The Mystery Society by Steve Niles & Fiona Staples

Completion Date: February 11, 2015
Length: 132 Pages
Nick Hammond and Anastasia Collins are the Mystery Society - and bring new meaning to "underground cult" status! Stealthily avoiding the authorities, this skulduggery duo spend their time and money righting wrongs committed in the world's underbellies.
I had no idea what this comic was about, to be honest. It just came on my radar one day because Fiona Staples, of Saga fame, is the artist and I was curious about it. Then, it just sort of got lost in the long list of books that I want to read... But, thanks to Scribd, it came up on a search and I knew I had to finally try it. And, it was good. The Mystery Society is essentially a group that investigates the world's mysteries. It's a little bit superhero, a little bit fantasy, and then there is some science-fiction and I would like to say steam-punk thrown in the mix. Sadly it looks like a standalone, though, which makes me sad. (But also, yay, I didn't start a new series!)


I think four comics are enough for today. I have read a bunch more that I will hopefully get to another day!

6 comments:

  1. I didn't know Hyperbole and A Half was on there! It's going into my library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the title of Hyperbole and A Half! The Mystery Society sounds interesting--I like the idea of a superhero/fantasy/science fiction/steam-punk mix. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read these! Except Mystery Society, which I think I've read. But you know what? I'm probably due for a reread because I don't remember it at all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great set of GNs March seems to be getting a lot of great comments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As x-23 is a relatively new character I've only gotten familiar with her recently. She's interesting. I will have to check this out. Hopefully the issues are on Marvel Unlimited

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really would like to read March and Mystery Society sounds very promising too! So I haven't really had a chance to check out Scribd still but do you like it? I'm tempted to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.